JHS

Crap
Total votes: 1 (25%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 3 (75%)
Total votes: 4

Re: Brand: JHS

I like guitar pedals a lot and have probably spent more time than I should thinking about JHS. Reluctant NC, significant WF.

I also have the Supreme along with a Crimson. The Crimson, which is an EHX Red Army Overdrive clone, is the best version of a scoopy/big-and-stupid Muff that I've found to date. The Supreme is not as wild as some of my other more signal-obliterating fuzzes (Unpleasant Surprise, etc.), but is super musical for what it is. Anything else of theirs that I've played or owned (Morning Glory/replaced with an EAE Limelight; Lucky Cat/replaced with a Diamond Memory Lane Jr.) has been good to great. (Although I do have the ACAB Rat and would certainly choose it over the PackRat, if only for, uh, vibes.)

Things I like about JHS, the company:
- Generally high quality products;
- All pedals come with an excellent guitar pick;
- Adding an affordable line with the 3 series seems to have inspired Walrus to do the same (and the Fundamental series is much cooler-looking). Hoping for more of this. I don't need it - I have enough stuff - but accessibility is great, and the boutique pedal world in general is pretty ridiculous.

Things I like about Josh Scott, the dude:
- He's like 6'6" but presents as 5'10". This is fascinating;
- Much like me, he is an average-ish guitarist with a strong sense of melody, fantastic command of tone, a BiLT, and a tendency to play stuff that largely sounds the same;
- He's both (more or less) self-aware and (absolutely) a huge fan of and advocate for other folks in the pedal space, especially innovators.

Things I do not like:
- I don't think he is affiliated with that vile church any longer but I also don't think he's done a ton of work to distance himself from it;
- He's pretty hokey. His videos are pretty hokey. There are relatively few "guitar YouTubers" who are not totally hokey though. Half pass on this one, but doesn't mean I have to like it;
- Everybody steals from everybody else in the pedal world. JHS has stolen quite a bit. I think historically they've been pretty bad at navigating this, although they seem to be getting better lately (eg., the whole PackRat/comprehensive-history-of-the-Rat thing);
- General "P&W guitarist" energy around their products (waning lately, I think).

So yeah. High WF. Still like my big triangular fuzz pedals a lot, though.

"P&W" guitarists are a riot. They each seem to have a board with every JHS pedal, an AxeFX MMXII, and a gold-trimmed PRS to play G and D chords on "Jesus Take The Wheel."

These are the cats that keep Sweetwater and GC afloat.
We're headed for social anarchy when people start pissing on bookstores.

Tom Wanderer wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:38 am"JHS isn't liked because they're partnered with a pretty a radical organization called IHOPKC (International House of Prayer) which is a superchurch-type of religious sect that's had some questionable investigations into their practices. They're considered extreme by even a lot of Christians. They're pretty homophobic and they supported the "Kill the Gays" bill in Uganda to an extent. They're featured in the documentary "God Loves Uganda" which shows a lot of what they're up to and criticized for and documents it.

JHS is listed in their store with an album by JHS (Joshua Heath Scott) and here's a video of him off their site where he's listed as the Worship Leader.

IHOPKC also has their in house graphic designer do JHS promos, and they've shared a ton of staff.
Josh's official statement on IHOPKC: https://www.jhspedals.info/jhs-supports-human-rights

As far as jocking other people's circuits, he's pretty open about either copying circuits from or "basing" circuits on other pedals. If I were to get another JHS, it'd be the Emperor chorus, which is "based" on the Arion SCH-2, which I already have but mine can be a bit temperamental. I think the Emperor just has an added blend knob.

I do dig boutique clones of obscure / OOP pedals. I have a Smooth Brain clone of an Ace Tone FZ-2. Fifty bucks compared to what the OG goes for on Reverb.
🎸 krakoa.bandcamp.com
📚 barnesandnoble.com/s/Charlie%20Pauken
🥪 sandwichbully.blogspot.com