Cooking tips, recipes, ideas, etc.

This thread probably existed at one point but may have been lost (though I suppose the PRF Hivemind thread would work). Questions, advice, recipes..

What's a good vinegar to use for adobo? My one attempt making it tasted quite good, but smelled like a science experiment. I'm guessing there's a more appropriate vinegar but maybe it's something else too?
Music

Re: Cooking tips, recipes, ideas, etc.

rsmurphy wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:44 am How does one not burn garlic? I've turned down the burner, but adding it at the least possible moment seems to work best. Whenever I read a recipe that wants you to add it at the start I'm like: yeah, right.
You can slowly simmer it in butter or whatnot but you have to be VERY gentle. Otherwise yeah: 10 or 15 seconds before you throw in the deglazing wine or liquid/sauce.
Music

penningtron wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:48 am
rsmurphy wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:44 am How does one not burn garlic? I've turned down the burner, but adding it at the least possible moment seems to work best. Whenever I read a recipe that wants you to add it at the start I'm like: yeah, right.
You can slowly simmer it in butter or whatnot but you have to be VERY gentle. Otherwise yeah: 10 or 15 seconds before you throw in the deglazing wine or liquid/sauce.
You can also cook the garlic and then remove it, set aside, add back in later. But remember it will keep cooking a little after removing.
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale

rsmurphy wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:32 pm
enframed wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:09 pm You can also cook the garlic and then remove it, set aside, add back in later.
Would doing it this way keep its juices and flavor from becoming infused with the other ingredients?
Depends when you add the garlic back in. Remove the garlic by straining with a slotted spoon or the like, keep the oil in the pan to cook the other ingredients.

The best way is to just be gentle, as stated above, but it takes practice wrt timing and level of heat applied. I've burned plenty of garlic...
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale

enframed wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:38 pm Remove the garlic by straining with a slotted spoon or the like, keep the oil in the pan to cook the other ingredients.
Pro tip!

I just housed a tin of smoked oysters. There has to be a healthier way to gnosh on them molluscs other than bedding them on a cracker, and then soaking the crackers in the oils and then eating the crackers when all of the oysters are gone.
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell