Re: The best SYNTH riffs of all time

I don't think he was mentioned yet, but Giorgio Moroder pretty much rules this space per the given definition. He uses the synth riff as his primary compositional tool, and it is up front and central. It's basically like AC/DC but in synth form. Pretty much ALL his songs follow this same format, and synth is no longer just leads and atmospheric noodiling.

And this was pretty iconic, the post-punk Pretty Woman

However the first thing I thought of:

kokorodoko wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:06 pm As for me, it's probably more of a fill than a riff but the one in "Here Comes the Sun" fills me with beautiful.

Listening to "Atomic Dog" (George Clinton) now because I thought about it and yeah, this one definitely belongs up there.

But in fact, boy, thinking through everything the list could be going for a while.

Front 242 - Funkahdafi + Welcome to Paradise
Skinny Puppy - Worlock
Ministry - Stigmata
My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult - Kooler Than Jesus
Swing Out Sister - Breakout
LFO - "Intro" on Frequencies
Autechre - Bike

(The Final Countdown is ass.)
Skinny Puppy for sure, but I have to go with grave wisdom. aggressive and beautiful and out of tune

or assimilate for pure catchiness

RIP Dwayne

TylerDeadPine wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:19 am Skinny Puppy for sure, but I have to go with grave wisdom. aggressive and beautiful and out of tune
For a long time my favourite, but no particular element is distinct enough for this purpose.

TylerDeadPine wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:19 amRIP Dwayne
word

ANNNNDDD an actually banging riff is Dwayne's own thing, aDuck. It was what, two songs? Such a damn shame. Sick music.

born to give