Re: Massively Underrated Stuff.

tallchris wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:49 pm
A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:33 am
Massively underrated? I'd say going out to a restaurant, movies, or concerts by yourself.
Absolutely prefer going to see a movie by myself; my partner doesn't really like going to see movies anyway, and I've gone with too many friends who have forgotten you're supposed to shut the fuck up watching a movie in the theater. At least I feel more comfortable telling boomers to shut the fuck up (happened at a matinee Oppenheimer screening last summer!).
I agree, but didn't post this.
at war with bellends

Re: Massively Underrated Stuff.

Dave N. wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:13 pm
Wood Goblin wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:46 pm
penningtron wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:05 pm Libraries, especially checking out music from the library.
Good answer!
I used to love to sit in the Northern Arizona University Cline Library and listen to records on the library turntable. I always felt like I got more out of it by listening to it onsite, rather than checking out the records and bringing them home. Lots of great jazz and experimental records in that library. Milton Babbitt, Ornette Coleman, Conlon Nancarrow, John Cage…I spent hours in there.
Hell yes, great answer.

I didn't have a record collection through most of my adult life: instead I had loads of dubbed tapes. I had like five library cards from cities around Germany's Ruhrgebiet (the rust belt) and beyond, and I travelled around on the bus and train collecting stuff to dub to tape at home, like my friends. We were like “Dude, you have to go to Krefeld, they have a ton of Anthony Braxton, someone there is a fan”. Good times.

Also with you on the uni library listening. I went to conservatory for a year and loved listening to stuff in the library there. Very similar stuff, 20th Century avant-garde and '60s/'70s avant jazz. Can still remember listening to Bitches Brew for the first time at one of the stations there, reading the liner notes. Special way to experience that stuff.