Quilter Amps

Gah, already ordered a cheap Swamp Thang on Reverb. oops.J. Burns wrote:Jury has yet to chime in but I seem to recall that he asploded a couple 12 speakers before settling on the EM12 (Eminence fake EV) which seems to be working out well for him.Yeah, though I don't know if my closed back cab has enough (cubic) volume for those. I suspect it's more the bassiness of the Peavey speaker than a power thing anyway, and already know I like the high end/guitar emphasis of STs and Tonkers. The Tonker-lite would have been extra cool (4 lbs!) but I couldn't find a non-full price one.

Quilter Amps

154 wrote:Got a chance to play with the 101 Mini Head. Going through a Black Widow 1x12 (125w) at 8ohms. I like all the guitar voices and it gets plenty loud for my needs but the gain turned above noon is making the speaker move and fart a bit, especially on the Surf and Jazz modes (100w). I have the low end rolled off, and the Lead mode seems to be the tightest with moderate gain but I'm a little bummed and worried about pushing the Surf mode'; bummed because it's otherwise a good sound.Maybe I do need the next size up, but then I would need a second speaker and that defeats the purpose of this. Thoughts?Let me know if you want to buy your old Swamp Thang speaker out of this TL806. I'm going to put an EV in it when I find one.

Quilter Amps

Really digging this amp, btw. Has that 'speaker barely breaking up' grit down and I wouldn't hesitate to record with it. It does get a little solid state-y if you crank the gain for some 'lead' tones, but pedals would be better for that stuff. I don't notice any loudness difference between the 50/100 watt modes but either one is plenty for a club show (through an efficient cab at least). the mini/block heads seem just about right from a 'what I'm willing to spend on this' standpoint. Not sure I'd venture into the more expensive hobbit combos.

Quilter Amps

Per mr. Burns- yes, I blew a couple speakers, including Neal's when on tour- but not sure any of them was the amps fault. I have an eminence EM12 in an open back Avatar clone, does the trick and should be un-fuck-with-able. Have yet to try it through my 806 clones, but those have Delta Pros and are really for bass at this point. We recorded 'Follow Your Heart' with it- sounded fine.
No one is paying you to sit on that bed and cry.

Quilter Amps

garthplinko wrote:The smaller magnet may allow it to fit in your aforementioned closed-back cab? https://www.eminence.com/pdf/Legend\_EM12N.pdfEither would physically fit, but without a port I didn't know if the EV-style speaker would sound good in a medium sized cab. I would certainly consider the EM12s over a brand new EVM though. On that note this is a bit tempting. Budget Thiele?https://www.musicgoroundgreenfield.com/ ... inet-other