Re: Requiescat FM Steve

prowler wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:59 am FM vish's remembrance of steve is all i hoped it would be. i obviously don't have the connection that he (and some of you) had with the man, but his interviews always made me share in that world a little bit
Also mentions his "Lido Shuffle" performance w/ The Hype at the 2010 PRFBBQ!
Band: www.bracketsseattle.bandcamp.com
Old band: www.burnpermits.bandcamp.com
Older band: www.policeteeth.bandcamp.com

Hey everyone,

I'd only ever posted once or twice on the old ΕΑ forum, more than a decade ago, a few weeks before that year's Primavera, where I would be seeing Shellac live for the first time. Since then, I was lucky enough to experience them 3 more times. Even after countless concerts, Shellac remain my favorite live band.

Each time I attended the festival, I always secretly hoped that somehow I would randomly run into Steve. What I would say to him, I have no idea. All I know is, I grew up with the music he played and recorded and even shaking his hand or exchanging a few words would be a memory that I would hold on to forever (despite being aware that he hated all this hero worship stuff!).

No other artist's passing has ever shaken me quite as much as Steve's. For some reason, I believed that he would always be there, playing shows with Shellac each year, recording incredible albums, and becoming ever wiser and funnier. The world is a much poorer place without him. Much love to his friends and family.

-A Steve Albini fan from Athens, Greece

tallchris wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:56 am
prowler wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:59 am FM vish's remembrance of steve is all i hoped it would be. i obviously don't have the connection that he (and some of you) had with the man, but his interviews always made me share in that world a little bit
Whoa.. maybe the first time I've heard that mentioned "in the wild"! He compliments Tim Midyett's performance of "Hanging on the Telephone" as well. This all came up because track #2 on the new Shellac is about a karaoke bar I guess.
Maurice wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:16 pm
penningtron wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 6:53 am I think Steve said that door thing was BS in another interview. That said: Molina's almost improvisational approach is captured in the Josephine documentary, and Steve and the studio was clearly equipped for the job.
JM clearly liked to bullshit people in interviews. His explanation about the "listen...listen..." part also doesn't line up, because that's how the "Farewell Transmission" demo ends (included in the anniversary release).
I just saw the drawing from that session posted on IG (very cool!) and it was in studio B, with a note saying "sliding door, open and closed". I can see that happening between takes, but the way it's told meant Steve would have walked down that long staircase, tape rolling, through most of the band playing their instruments, mics and cables everywhere, all to open and close the door for some reason. Not likely.
Music

tallchris wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:56 am
ill probably write a five star review at some point. Still listening thru for now. I didn’t expect to listen to the entire 40 minute intro but I’m glad I Did. Many truths were uttered. As someone who remembers the prf vs. FM vish “controversy” but had no opinion on it, I appreciated his openness and humility. But to then bring everything back to norm Macdonald & poker was a bulls eye.
I have probably listened to half of their conversations over the years. It’s almost impossible to surprise me but I’m hooked as usual.

This may have been discussed, but I did not realize To All Trains was going to be available on Spotify. I will certainly be buying a physical copy when I can, but I'm going to take a drive right now and blast it.
"And the light, it burns your skin...in a language you don't understand."

It’s up on Apple Music. I’ll wait for my vinyl…

I noticed in an interview with Bob I was reading - can’t find it now - but he was asked if the singles compilation was still a thing and he said yes. Having the 7”s remastered and on a big slab of vinyl would be great. Wingwalker blew my little mind when it was released. Pre earthquake 90s Christchurch New Zealand had some incredible music stores. Galaxy was my haunt but I remember Echo Records had made a display stand for At Action Park. Which looking back was really odd. We were lucky enough that both stores always had good stocks of Touch & Go, Drag City etc vinyl.

Okay, now I’m getting misty eyed about Christchurch- gone - and Steve.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.

I just couldn't get myself to post in this thread. On the day I was playing 'Billard Player song" riff less than two minutes before reading the news. It felt surreal now and it still does, like there is just no way this can be real.

I've met Steve once, when they played in Poland in 2008, much like FM Sparky I did an interview with him and Bob - mostly to have a chance to come and say hi, so I did before the soundcheck - hearing something like "oh it's you, nice to see you" and "your nickname always makes me laugh" meant and still means a huge deal. The experience was like everybody's else's here, both Steve and Bob very very cordial and funny, first thing that comes to my mind when I think about that meeting is how much laughter was involved.

Even though I'm far away from Chicago, over the years PRF just became a part of my life, a place which greatly improved my English skills, ability to argue, hold and express my position. I still constantly call thugs crap/not crap in conversation or throw in lines about "this would be a good name for synth psychodelic rock bands from the 70's but with lyrics about poo" into conversation.

A few days before Steve's passing I played the Bottomless Pit vinyl for the first time in my life as I very recently bought a turntable, after keeping it for a shelf since 2007. The moment I've put the cover against the wall I saw that the reflection of light on the floor matched the cover of the album like I was planning it for years, that instantly made me think about Micheal, early days of PRF, all the posters who are gone, how it's been almost 20 years, my own tough times in previous year and how the light is always there somewhere . It could sound silly but it was an eerie moment for me, I was slightly dizzy. I can't believe I now will be thinking both about Micheal and Steve.

Steve carved his own way in stone, staying true to his principles of (among others) no tolerance for bs (including his own), loyalty, decency, hard work, bringing out absolutely the best in people and humanism. There were so many areas one could look up to him and be inspired by him it (again) doesn't seem real. And how it is done. Steve's life is done. He will forever remain an absolute here, inspiration and a true giant among men. Reading and writing on the same board as him for years and decades means being closer to a human being of historical importance closer then the pretty much the entire rest of the world. That is something to be cherished, especially as it allowed to learn even more from him and about how incredibly special he was.

Spoczywaj w pokoju, Steve.
🎈