Recommend Some Good 'Hard' Sci-Fi

Just caught the Second Run blu-ray of the restored version of the Czech sci-fi film Ikarie XB 1. It's worth seeing! Based on a Stanisław Lem story, it was an influence on the look and feel of both Star Trek and 2001. It came out in 1963 and a has a snazzy score featuring a lot of vintage electronic music. The cinematography looks fab and it has a tight pacing (especially during the first half). Maybe not my favorite space movie, but Ikarie XB 1 is definitely a lot better than the last movie I saw about the search for the aliens, Europa Report, which even for late-night dispensable Roku fodder was hard to indulge by the end.Another Second Run Czech sci-fi blu-ray I like is that of Karel Zeman's Invention for Destruction, which is more of a marvel for its dazzling production values than its narrative. Pre-dates the steampunk trend by decades. Not really hard sci-fi, more fantasy sci-fi, or half-animation perhaps, but worth tracking down and seeing once for sure.I don't watch/read loads of sci-fi, so it's nice to be able to dip into things like these and not feel like they were a waste of time or too dorky.Am interested in seeing the newish movie by Clair Denis.

Recommend Some Good 'Hard' Sci-Fi

superslacker wrote:I liked Europa Report a lot. A different take on the "found footage" type movies. It's been on the 'Flix for awhile now.Yes, when discussing the movie a few months back with a friend he mentioned that it had been on Netflix a while before being added to Hulu. Don't know what kind of theatrical run it had before that.Given that I'm more than curious about learning what, if anything biological, is beneath the icy layer on the edge of Europa, I thought it had a strong enough "hook" as far as premises go. The beginning didn't make for a bad set-up.But Europa Report ended up playing out like just another monster movie by the end. Adding to the frustration, multiple characters were shown or heard saying things like, "You wouldn't believe this," or, "Wow, I've never seen anything like this," with the viewer seeing barely a glimpse of any of it until the end, at which point the fascination felt withered due to a predictable plot arc and lack of good character development. I thought it ended up being rather half-assed upon its conclusion, but others might have enjoyed it more.