Recommend Some Good 'Hard' Sci-Fi

When I was working for the State Bar CLE I had an older coworker who was into movies and he told me he really liked a sci-fi film starring Klaus Kinski in which he played the tyrannical captain of a space ship who goes insane as the movies progresses.I would love to see the Klaus Kinski version of Space Madness, but I have no idea what movie this is.Anyone know?Mr. Food, you might like the Polish film On the Silver Globe, by Andrzej Żuławski. I've got the DVD of it, but only managed to watch about forty minutes of it before getting sidetracked. Seemed okay.

Primer is awesome hard science-fiction, like putting your brain in a Klein bottle. Contact is decent. The Truman Show, if you haven't seen it. There's a superb French film called Peut-etre, featuring time travel, a slow-motion cumshot and Screamin' Jay Hawkins. See 'Alphaville'. Phase IV is strange as you like and beautifully shot. Saul Bass directed it. Really good. Unless you have a problem with insects. The Andromeda Strain is slower than cooling pitch, but engrossing in its dread and visual weirdness. Fantastic soundtrack.Going back even further, 'The Day The Earth Caught Fire' (1961) is a terrific film. I have a thing for 'last man on Earth' movies. The Quiet Earth is a fantastic take on this, if you can find it, shot in New Zealand. Makes the first part of '28 Days Later' look like a Busby Berkeley production.

Not sure exactly what "hard" means, but here goes.La Jetée and 12 Monkeys (based on the former) are both great films. Brazil is also good. You gotta like Gilliam a little though.I'll third or fourth Primer, fantastic film, shot for a couple of credit cards worth of debt, and The Fountain, as someone else mentioned is also very good.Blade Runner, or course.Coma is OK, kind of thriller, though, too.Altered States is really good.Screamers, another based on PK Dick.I would count Inception as sci-fi, I liked it.I know I'm missing a lot but can't think of more at the moment.
To me Steve wrote:I'm curious why[...] you wouldn't just fuck off instead. Let's hear your record, cocksocket.