Cymbals

I've never subscribed to the one-line-of-cymbals-on-your-drumkit thing. Maybe the closest has been Zildjian K's - have had a set of hats (Custom or Dark or Custom Dark or whatever) for over 10 years and an 18 thin crash that was really good until it broke after about a year.About two months ago I was in a store checking out cymbals and the 24 Giant Beat was my favorite one there. I think the sticker was almost $400. When I was at the Chicago Drum Show a couple months ago, there were a couple good independent cymbal companies. One of them was Amedia, from whom I bought a 20 Vintage ride. It is pretty good but probably destined to live one of my crash stands.As a note, buying a cymbal from a drum show (or any drum object for that matter) is something I would recommend because you get to hear a lot of them, try em out, find stuff you can't in a store and get a great price.

Cymbals

garthplinko wrote:no but I've played the vented ones. Meh. Seems like a gimmick - if you use that little screw guy under where the bottom one hits, you don't have to worry about the "airlock" or whatever the Quick Beats were marketed for stopping. And I will recant on what I posted earlier. I do like some of the regular Zildjian A's. Got a used set of A Mastersounds hi-hats that I have fallen in love with and I love the Sweet Ride - as a crash/ride.If possible, figure out which crash you hit the most and make the Sweet Ride the OTHER cymbal. They way they're lathed underneath makes them pretty easy to crack, in my experience. I can't tell you specifics, but I can tell you that I broke one in NO time.Sounded great in the short term, though. Full disclosure: I liked it as a crash so much that I put it over my rack tom, which is the cymbal I hit the most....
Redline wrote:Not Crap. The sound of death? The sound of FUN! ScrrreeEEEEEEE

Cymbals

I'm jealous of you guys for breaking cymbals as I've never broke one and feel like a wuss.I have a set of old Zildjians, 15 hihats, 22 medium ride and a dark 18 crash. I try to not hit them as hard as I hit the drums so I don't become one of those drummers, you know, those who sound like they don't have actual drums in their kit, but I still swat at them nonetheless.