Cymbals

Got a used Slingerland drum kit courtesy of a very generous friend. I bought a cymbal pack, and HATE the cymbals.

Can anyone recommend a brand/line of cymbals? I'm looking for 13" hi-hats and an 18" crash. I bought a Zildjian ZBT cymbal pack with 14" hi-hats and a 16" crash, but they just sound horrible.

I'm in no rush, since I just started playing...I just want to have an idea of what to look for when I browse Ebay with my free time at work.

Thanks yo.

Cymbals

Zildjian K's, Paiste Signatures, and Paiste Rudes. I like the Rude HiHiats. These are pretty much all handmade cymbals so they can be pretty expensive. -- Also, because they are handmade, no two cmbals will sound exactly the same. Go to a store and choose wisely. --It's best if you can audition them with your own kit.
"Fuck compose, Fuck melody, Dedicated to no one, Thanks to no one, ART IS OVER".
-Juntaro Yamanouchi

Cymbals

I play super hard and heavy, so I use 15" hats, 20 Paiste 2002 crash, a 22" Zildjian A Custom ride as a low crash and a 24" Paiste 2002 ride. Big and heavy is how I like them, because eventually they break.

I find any crash under 18" to be too thin a sound to be heard in just about any mix as anything other than a burst of static. I like the Zildjian A Customs for just about anything, as long as they're LARGE.

If you need any help setting up and tuning your vintage kit, it's what I have done for a living off and on for ages. I really enjoy tuning and fixing drums. you can always bring it up and drop it off with me when you visit your girl in Law School. I'll have it ready before you head home.
Redline wrote:Not Crap. The sound of death? The sound of FUN! ScrrreeEEEEEEE

Cymbals

I have been using Zildjian A 17", 18" and 19" Rock crashes for a long time now and I like them quite a bit. They also have a great return policy. As far as ride cymbals go, buy whatever Mike G. from Tar played because in my opinion it is the best sounding ride cymbal ever.

Jon

Cymbals

dontfeartheringo wrote:I play super hard and heavy, so I use 15" hats, 20 Paiste 2002 crash, a 22" Zildjian A Custom ride as a low crash and a 24" Paiste 2002 ride. Big and heavy is how I like them, because eventually they break.

I find any crash under 18" to be too thin a sound to be heard in just about any mix as anything other than a burst of static. I like the Zildjian A Customs for just about anything, as long as they're LARGE.

If you need any help setting up and tuning your vintage kit, it's what I have done for a living off and on for ages. I really enjoy tuning and fixing drums. you can always bring it up and drop it off with me when you visit your girl in Law School. I'll have it ready before you head home.
That jusy may happen. Ima get used to playing first...get settled and have some idea of what my playing style is and what I like. I know these ZBT cymbals can eat a dick though.

Cymbals

Jeremy wrote:I like Zildjian A customs, As, and Ks. For hihats i use an old set of new beats. they're pretty dark and record well.

this has basically been my set up for a long time. As and A customs are always a sure thing.. but sometimes too sure ie. a little boring. some Ks are cool and some are way too dark, like my K custom crash i hardly use anymore. zildjians are usually pretty good across the board, except for the ZBT (entry level) ones you mention and i'm not a fan of the Z series.. too fuckin' zingy.

the last 2 recordings i've played on i used some Paistes (not familiar with their model names). i've always thought Paistes sound kind of fucked up, but they sound great on the recordings.. they stand out more than the A customs i normally use.

also, Sabian makes some pretty good stuff thats generally underrated. i'd check those out when you're shoppin'. the HH line are usually good.

Cymbals

Istanbul or Bosphorus are both really good bets. About in line with Zildjians K series, quality wise, all hand made in Turkey and a ton cheaper than equivalent American brands. I'm in the process of replacing all my vintage Zildjians with Istanbuls. They tend to be on the thin side I think though, so if heavy is your game you might want to try some that are rated heavier than you'd usually use...