Re: What are you buying, What's on its way?

Kniferide wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:22 pm
Nate Dort wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:24 pm

Picked up a broken Sunn Alpha Six mixer for cheap. Same 100W output stage and reverb tank as a Beta Lead, but with a deeper sounding reverb, as the tank is being driven harder. Preamps are the same as the Alpha series guitar amps. Sucks as a mic mixer, but sounds great as a guitar pedal platform if you want to do some parallel stuff.

Needed a new fuse holder, and there was a filter capacitor loose and rattling around inside, but I found where it was supposed to be and resoldered it. Looked like a cold solder joint, so I touched up everything else I could access.
I have a scrap Yamaha M916 in the garage and I kinda want to break it out into little 6-8 channel boxes with just pre and eq to direct outs for DAW recording and shit and that form factor would be perfect. I do not know how to do that though so it's just on stand by.
My new doom synth amp is a tray or YVM-1 vocal PA that was jumped and turned into a guitar/bass amp. I run it through 2 PA speakers and it is loud AF. It was important to have a wide frequency range and i think it does pretty well…
https://instagram.com/homo_nyms_?igshid ... c2ODk2ZA==
https://slowdownmercury.bandcamp.com/

Tried out an ASM Hydrasynth on the weekend because it was on sale and available at a local store - I absolutely loved the sound creation options and the build quality was such that I went back home and dragged my spouse/Synth player out to try it as a replacement for our long suffering Ensoniq ESQ-1. The Hydrasynth interface was surprisingly influenced by the ESQ-1 so that was really cool, and we were able to get some similar sounds out of it - I thought it was a scam dunk buuuut I really didn’t consider that the ESQ-1 has large keys and a really nice keybed. The Hydrasynth keys felt great but were about and inch shorter and my partner struggled through some of our songs on it - likely a muscle memory thing buuut… there was an Access Virus beside it, tried out those keys and bam. I went down the rabbit hole on what synths have what keybeds that aren’t $4k..

Now I’m buying a used Prophet Rev2. Just ticks all the boxes for a live full guitar band synth with 8 voices, AND has a nice keybed.

The ESQ-1 really is a hell of a synth for the money

There's been some really great deals on plugins that ends this week. I picked up a really nice SSL channel strip for next to nothing, among other things. I gotta give a shoutout to the UAD native essentials bundle. I was looking for a Space Echo clone. I found a few for a decent price, but the UAD Essentials bundle sale price is nearly the same for most echo clones. It includes the space echo, but you get so much good classic shit with it. That LA-2A is probably the best one I've used, really impressed with it. Can't complain about getting the other 2 flavors, plus the Pultec suite and some other nice-to-haves.

I've been wanting badly for a physical transport for my recording desk and some easier way to access plugins and shortcuts. I ended up picking up an Icon Nano P1.

https://iconproaudio.com/product/p1-nano/

tommy wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:58 am I’ve owned a few used old as shit Macs in my life, but I got my first brand new computer since the Commodore 64 I had as a kid. Hello, M2 Mac Studio! I’m
Ready to party. Guess I’m gonna learn Reaper now and ditch Pro Tools. Hope everyone is ready for stupid questions…
Hell yeah
I used a Commodore64 monitor as a console screen well into the 2010s - there was something about the colors on it that were fantastically vibrant. It's still in my parent's basement, I turn it on every Christmas and it still works, I think they bought it in 86.