Best Food In Chicago

We've talked about good food in many threads and a lot of us are from Chicago. So, what's your pick for the best food in Chicago: cheep eat's, out of the way places, or just the best food in general. Hot Dougs need not be mentioned nor does Kuma's, as it has it's own thread. Damn you Kuma's, your too good.

Alright, I'll start this off:

Sushi: Ginza Sushi 19 E Ohio St. (right next to Pizzeria Uno)

I used to live in Tokyo so my friends always are asking me for advice on good Sushi restaurants. There is only one answer, GO HERE!!! It looks like a dive from the outside but this place is the real deal. You will not find any specialty rolls with western ingredients like; cream cheese, cilantro,etc..etc. This sushi as it's served in Japan and the fish is really fresh. The staff are all Japanese, which is rare for Chicago. Here, 90% of Sushi restaurants are run by non-japanese(various other asian backgrounds) who are only trying to turn a quick buck and don't really care that much about quality. This is why Japanese Government is sending "Sushi Police" to give various seals of approval to sushi restaurants in America. Some of the stuff that passes is really bad, but I digress.

In America, sushi restaurant are set up more like clubs than restaurants: loud dance music, dark lighting, and a decor that matches the pretentious egos of the people around you. Ginza sushi is quite the opposite. Saying it's not pretentious is a major understatement. This place is SO low key. You'll most likely be sharing your meal with Japanese businessmen who are in town and staying in the hotel above the restaurant. In that case you won't here any english spoken in the restaurant. This place is the real deal.
Last edited by John George Peppers_Archive on Wed May 16, 2007 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Best Food In Chicago

Best all-steak burrito of questionable standing with the CDC:
from the bright yellow La Pasadita (there are three or four La Pasadita places on the block) at Ashland and Division.

It also has the funniest restaurant mural inside: a cow with a disproportionately-large-tassled tail. If anyone can post a pic, I'd be grateful (I live in Mpls).

Best Food In Chicago

This could be a long list from me. It really depends on what I want, and how much I'm willing to spend.

A short list of inexpensive restaurants that aren't necessarily greasy spoons:
Wishbone (both locations)
El Presidente (on Ashland)
Kamehachi (on Wells) (not too expensive for Sushi)
Reza's (in Andersonville)
Pequod's Pizza (on Clybourn)

I'll have to think some more. I don't go to dinner in Chicago proper as much as I used to.
Available in hit crimson or surprising process this calculator will physics up your kitchen

Best Food In Chicago

JPG, since you seem to know an awful lot about Sushi tell me how Nohana on Broadway stacks up.
Is it bullshit Sushi?
I don't know shit about Sushi but I do enjoy me the happy hour prices there.
Is there a better place I can go to for inexpensive sushi? Really inexpensive like nohana, I mean I can stuff myself silly for less than 10 bucks there.

and I gotta go Pequods as well.
Home Run Inn lunch buffet is a steal for whatcha get as well.
I myself am fond of the one on Archer near midway.
Last edited by Marsupialized_Archive on Wed May 16, 2007 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Reuben wrote:Marsupialized reminds me of freedom