homophobic musicians

i was looking for a thread about bad brains "i against i" album and came across this comment:

After reading about the Bad Brains' homophobic and religious insanities, I will never listen to one of their albums again.

Bad, stupid people are incapable of making worthwhile art.

hmmmm.... i think this is a dumb thing to say but whatever.

then, the other day, i was talking to a friend of mine about reggae musicians such as sizzla, capleton, buju banton, bounty killer, et al. the dude i was talking to was a progressive-minded college student, somewhat like myself, so we easily agreed that it was a great thing for these musicians to be anti-establishment, pro-marijuana, and rather spiritual/mystical. however, the other dude then said "but i really can't stand their homophobic BS." my response was, who cares???

ok, i know gay people and i treat them with respect and dignity just like any other human being. but, while i would easily take issue with racist or semi-racist artists (such as phil anselmo of pantera) over ethical issues, i really don't feel that it's an urgent matter to denounce homophobic artists.

perhaps i'm just too appreciative of the great music of these reggae artists to take issue with their ethics.

anyhow, what say y'all of this notion?
Last edited by BClark_Archive on Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.
http://www.soundclick.com/hanabimusic (band)
http://www.myspace.com/iambls (i make beats for that dude)

homophobic musicians

hey, for the record, i'm not homophobic. i read william burroughs.

steve wrote:You sound like a regular cunt.

and you sound like steve albini. that "relentlessly ethical" steve albini that michael azerrad was talking about.

ha, i'm just joshin' ya. anyhow, "cunt"?... for all the relentless ethics, i think feminists would have a field day with that one, steve.

gjhardwick wrote:served

you mean like in that movie, "you got served"?

Dunderpate wrote:You should definately go fuck yourself.

i concur, absolutely, "definately [sic]". at last!!!! i've always wanted to use the written term "[sic]"
Last edited by BClark_Archive on Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.
http://www.soundclick.com/hanabimusic (band)
http://www.myspace.com/iambls (i make beats for that dude)

homophobic musicians

So, to clarify, what you are saying is that you have no problem supporting an artist who's stance on an entire group of people is to hate them(and in some cases to be burned alive), based on their sexual preference? This is something that is somehow passable to you? Like, you know, no big whoop? The tunes are that great?

homophobic musicians

BClark wrote:i was looking for a thread about bad brains "i against i" album and came across this comment:

After reading about the Bad Brains' homophobic and religious insanities, I will never listen to one of their albums again.

Bad, stupid people are incapable of making worthwhile art.

hmmmm.... i think this is a dumb thing to say but whatever.

then, the other day, i was talking to a friend of mine about reggae musicians such as sizzla, capleton, buju banton, bounty killer, et al. the dude i was talking to was a progressive-minded college student, somewhat like myself, so we easily agreed that it was a great thing for these musicians to be anti-establishment, pro-marijuana, and rather spiritual/mystical. however, the other dude then said "but i really can't stand their homophobic BS." my response was, who cares???

ok, i know gay people and i treat them with respect and dignity just like any other human being. but, while i would easily take issue with racist or semi-racist artists (such as phil anselmo of pantera) over ethical issues, i really don't feel that it's an urgent matter to denounce homophobic artists.

perhaps i'm just too appreciative of the great music of these reggae artists to take issue with their ethics.

anyhow, what say y'all of this notion?

I hate to jump on the bandwagon here, but how can you be a, and I quote, "progressive-minded college student" and be so pro-homophobia?

Semi-racist?

Reggae?