Reading while walking?

"Sorry I bumped into you, I was absorbed in this latest Dean Koontz."
Total votes: 3 (30%)
"Hey, while you're just walking, I'm learning something!"
Total votes: 7 (70%)
Total votes: 10

Act: Reading While Walking

I can't understand people who stride down the street, a book held out in front of them, oblivious to all around them. Apart from the impoliteness - you aren't going to step out of my way if all you can see is Jeffrey Archer's latest - I just don't understand how people can absorb or enjoy what they're reading when they do this.

Any walking readers on here? Why do you do it? Is there some great enjoyment to be had that I'm missing?

Reading should not involve moving one's legs. Crap.
Twenty-four hours a week, seven days a month

I used to do this all the time when I lived in London - so much of my day was spent walking over-familiar streets to and from work that I felt compelled to salvage the hours.

Peripheral vision is enough to alert you of impending collision, unless you walk super-fast. I can see how it might seem inconsiderate, but how often have you actually been run-over by a walker/reader?

I often do this - but! - only under a specific circumstance. Ergo, when I'm sat on the bus/in the car/wherever, deeply engrossed in a book, and I find myself obliged to disembark/leave. But I want to get to the end of that goddamn chapter! So I shall read until I'm there, walking or not.

Sorry, DRC. I add that I don't tend to do this for long periods of time, and am particularly careful to make sure I'm looking where I'm going.
Rick Reuben wrote:
daniel robert chapman wrote:I think he's gone to bed, Rick.
He went to bed about a decade ago, or whenever he sold his soul to the bankers and the elites.

I haven't been knocked over - true. But that peripheral vision business - that's maybe where I can't get this. When I'm truely absorbed in a book, I don't have peripheral vision... even if I'm mildly interested in what I'm reading. Everything else falls away. I don't need absolute quiet - I can do this on a train or a bus; but on a street with people heading right for me all the time, having to stop every two minutes to cross a road, half-looking out so I don't walk into anyone - I just couldn't do it.

I've nothing against students frantically trying to get some last minute revision in as they run to school - that's different. But reading for pleasure? It hardly beats an easy chair and a glass of whiskey, does it?

You cats is crazy.

So many great books to read, so little time!

I don't do this on the street, as it's really difficult to navigate and take in what you're reading in any satisfying way. I've realised, however, that I'm doing this on my commute to work. There's some kind of synchronised zombie automation at work in the morning that keeps things moving along just fine. I'll step off the train, walk to and then up the escalator without event - and all the while I won't have taken my eyes off the page. Maybe this is because there's an optimal level of rudeness that's required to keep the public transport system in London ticking over. If we all maintain this, everthing is just fine. Breakdowns occur with random acts of kindness and consideration.

daniel robert chapman wrote:Reading should not involve moving one's legs. Crap.

What about reading at the gym (on a treadmill)?
Stockhausen!

I did this back when I was still in college/university. I'd also make cassette tapes of myself reading definitions or various other information that I had to memorize and listen to them in my car on the way to class, whilst occasionally going through my invertebrate flashcards if the traffic was thin.

I'm surprised that I'm not dead.
"To be stupid, selfish, and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost."

-Gustave Flaubert

Rimbaud III wrote:

Or if you have no arms, and have to turn the pages with your legs?
Rick Reuben wrote:
daniel robert chapman wrote:I think he's gone to bed, Rick.
He went to bed about a decade ago, or whenever he sold his soul to the bankers and the elites.

Rimbaud III wrote:

No! Well, maybe. But can you still read if your head is bobbing around while you run?

simmo wrote:Or if you have no arms, and have to turn the pages with your legs?

Get back in the car, you.