Chicago Promoter s Ordinance Vote on Wed - Please Read!!

I don't see this posted anywhere in the forum, and it's a really big deal locally. Please call or write your alderman, especially if you play in/attend shows at a venue in your ward.

The following is from a friend at the Metro, but this ordinance is also opposed by Chicago Independent Radio Project, Girls Rock, Chicago Music Commission among many others.

Here's a bunch of info about it, or read metro's letter below:
http://chicago-music.org/promoters.php

The Metro opposes the Promoters Ordinance, which would require independent promoters to get licenses to promote events. Under the proposed law, independent promoters would have to acquire a promoter’s license at a cost of up to $2000 every two years, obtain liability insurance for every event thrown, even if the presenting venue already has liability insurance, be fingerprinted and background checked, and maintain extensive records of each event.  

Metro / Smart Bar believes that this ordinance is unnecessary, as current regulation of PPA licenses and safety and security guidelines are sufficient.  The ordinance also unfairly singles out small venues and venues without seating, with no justification for during so.  The goal for any additional regulation should be enforcement of current laws and punishment of those who do not obey them, not increased burdens on existing businesses.  Additionally, the Promoters Ordinance would negatively affect the Chicago music community.  First, it would affect the bottom line of small businesses like Metro and Smart Bar, who make a significant portion of revenue from partnerships with reputable, incident-free independent promoters. Second, loosing independent promoters means Chicago music fans would loose out on many small niche events important to minority groups. Third, restricting independent promoters would drastically cut into the ability to do charitable and political benefit concerts at Metro, as it would no longer be financially feasible for non-profit organizations to organize these events.

TAKE ACTION TODAY - Please email or call your alderman or alderwoman and voice your opposition to the Ordinance today!  Email or Call your alderman and ask him or her to oppose the Promoter Ordinance. Be polite. Tell him or her you support live music in Chicago, and feel this ordinance would kill many great events. Say you want venues to be safe, but this ordinance goes too far.  Place a call to your alderman’s office today.  This page will help you find your alderman and give you his or her email address and phone number — quick and easy and only takes a couple of minutes.

I apologize in advance for the repost but I believe this is important.

Forwarded from Rudy Membiela, Via Hashimoto's newsletter:

Hello fellow musicians/music lovers,

The "promoters ordinance" was postponed, but it is not over yet. A committee is working on a revised ordinance that will probably come up again for a vote in 1 month. The Chicago Music Commission is asking people to fill out a survey about the promoter's ordinance that they'll present to Daley and City Council. The last day to complete the survey is this Friday. Here's a link:
http://chicago-music.org/promoters-comments.php

Please take the time (15-20 minutes) to click on the link below, read the ordinance, and fill out the Chicago Music Commission's survey by Friday. All of us will be negatively affected by this ordinance if the language is not revised. It seems like the city is open to revising the language, but there must be a large outcry in order to make it happen.
Pass this along to every musician/music lover you know!

ktone wrote:I apologize in advance for the repost but I believe this is important.

Forwarded from Rudy Membiela, Via Hashimoto's newsletter:

The "promoters ordinance" was postponed, but it is not over yet. A committee is working on a revised ordinance that will probably come up again for a vote in 1 month. The Chicago Music Commission is asking people to fill out a survey about the promoter's ordinance that they'll present to Daley and City Council. The last day to complete the survey is this Friday. Here's a link:
http://chicago-music.org/promoters-comments.php

Please take the time (15-20 minutes) to click on the link below, read the ordinance, and fill out the Chicago Music Commission's survey by Friday. All of us will be negatively affected by this ordinance if the language is not revised. It seems like the city is open to revising the language, but there must be a large outcry in order to make it happen.
Pass this along to every musician/music lover you know!

It's off the shelf again. I really hope people have responded quickly- it was hardly talked about here. I filled out the survey as soon as I got the link. It only takes a few minutes, and you'll be dumber after having to answer some of these, but do it.