Kick foot?

Heel planted
Total votes: 2 (15%)
Heel in the air
Total votes: 9 (69%)
I don't wear shoes and will explain this further.
Total votes: 2 (15%)
Total votes: 13

Drummers: Heel up or down?

when I first started, I was heels down only. that was mostly because heels up requires a lot of leg strength thati don't have. but it didn't take terribly long before I realized I get better control and power playing heels up. so that's what I do, for the kick pedals anyway. hihat, I do a mix of up and down, mostly up, and have noticed a do a weird thing where I swivel my heel back and forth in an arc while keeping the toe in the same spot.

shoes on. I decided years ago that I'm a skate-shoes kinda guy. great for drums. I played in hiking boots for a short spell years ago, but never much liked it.
"The bastards have landed"

www.myspace.com/thechromerobes - now has a couple songs from the new album

scott wrote:when I first started, I was heels down only. that was mostly because heels up requires a lot of leg strength thati don't have. but it didn't take terribly long before I realized I get better control and power playing heels up. so that's what I do,

same here.
Redline wrote:Not Crap. The sound of death? The sound of FUN! ScrrreeEEEEEEE

Heel up for sure! all in the toes! Like scott said, way more power and I think better control.

I like to wear converse when playing, they are kind of an in between of sock and shoe. They are flat footed, I have more feel of the pedals. I have played in socks though and sometimes it works for me.
IF YOU DON'T LIKE ME, THEN DON'T READ MY FUCKING POSTS!

I've been playing vaguely seriously for about 8 months and I cannot play heel-up, although I think it might be due to the crappy low stool (throne!) I have and my height (6'2").

I would guess that to play heal-up you'd need your thigh to be at least parallel with the earth, if not hip-to-knee down?
I walk these streets, a loaded six-string on my back.

Adam I wrote:I've been playing vaguely seriously for about 8 months and I cannot play heel-up, although I think it might be due to the crappy low stool (throne!) I have and my height (6'2").

I would guess that to play heal-up you'd need your thigh to be at least parallel with the earth, if not hip-to-knee down?

Yeah, I am in the same boat with the height shit. Playing drums with being this tall is a challenge. I have never been able to find an actual drum stool that works. I just started using bar stools and counter stools ya know. Cutting the legs to perfect size. You can put one of those cushion pads they have for stools on them and they work great. I know people who play drums in those retro fiberglass "moon" chairs with no arms, thats weird.

Getting the correct height for yourself and then the correct height for the cymbals and drums will make HUGE difference. It is very important when playing,learning technique. I think if you got a correct seat for our gangly selves you would rather use heel up.
IF YOU DON'T LIKE ME, THEN DON'T READ MY FUCKING POSTS!

I do a combination of both. Mostly heel up because we mostly play really loud. But for softer and/or quicker, more intricate (difficult) patterns, heel down.

My left foot is all over the place. Similar to above, but I also use my heel to make the hit when I do like a cymbal crash on my hi hats. I don't know how that happened, it's just what my foot does.

I think this is my first ever post in the tech room.

Look at me all contributing something worthwhile.

Weird.
drew patrick wrote:Peripatetic will win.