Attenuator Thread

All pots are rheostats if you wire them up two-pole. A rheostat is just a variable resistor. (A pot wired up three-pole is a variable voltage divider).The gritty ones are high current ones that use a coil instead of a graphite strip. Obviously you'd melt a guitar pot if you tried to use it to attenuate an amp, but the principle is the same.

Attenuator Thread

I ve had a ton of them and most leave something to be desired.The Fryette Power Station may be overkill for some uses but it does work exceedingly well and your familiar old amp will sound like the same familiar old amp just mouse fart quiet. Also the Rivera Rock Crusher has worked just fine for me when I want to play my œbig amps at home. I still have one and if you want it I ll be happy to make you a deal.Both of these offer some minor tone tweekability to compensate for any high end of low freq you feel is lost in translation at a low volume.

Attenuator Thread

Anthony Flack wrote:What's the something to be desired? Or do you mean except for those two?Those are the first two I ve used that don t radically change the amp tone at the far end of the attenuation spectrum... or at least not as severely as others.

Attenuator Thread

TylerSavage wrote:Only thing is it has a wiper on it for the attenuation pot that feels terrible.I think that might be par for the course. I had the Dr. Z/Trainwreck designed Air Brake that was better than a couple others I've briefly tried in my life. Had two knobs: one was an incremental switch, and the other was for lower bedroom levels. The knob wasn't really a traditional potentiometer, and thus not smooth feeling. I seem to remember the pot doing something physically inside of the thing.Tony, you could make one! Here are plans I saw for the Air Brake: