EA Homepage " Welcome"

"...owned by Steve Albini and located in Chicago, Illinois" or "...is a two-studio complex in Chicago, Illinois owned by Steve Albini." In the latter alternative, the comma after Illinois is unnecessary and confuses the modifier.

This shouldn't be rocket surgery for us native speakers. But I like that it took 2 pages of funny to get here.
You had me at Sex Traction Aunts Getting Vodka-Rogered On Glass Furniture

EA Homepage " Welcome"

pwalshj wrote:"Electrical Audio is a two-studio complex, owned by Steve Albini, located in Chicago, Illinois."

Gnight, dorks.

As style, I don't like that sentence.

At its root, the comma signifies a pause. Three of them in one sentence is unfortunate, unless they are necessary.

As the home page of this site demonstrates, NO commas are necessary.

I much prefer the wording as it is:

Electrical Audio is a two-studio complex located in Chicago, Illinois and owned by Steve Albini.

The location is distinct from the name of the owner, which is why I prefer the 'and.'

That sentence is coherent and grammatically correct.

However, this sentence is a little better:

Electrical Audio is a two-studio complex owned by Steve Albini and located in Chicago, Illinois.

Steve's ownership is a unique feature of Electrical Audio.

He owns one studio only, whereas there are many studios located in Chicago, Illinois.

I would stress his ownership slightly by placing its mention first.

EDIT: Ty Webb agrees with me, and his point also occurred to me:

In the [sentence on the home page at present], the comma after Illinois is unnecessary and confuses the modifier.

EA Homepage " Welcome"

+1.

By using "and", you don't need the comma. This is a strong point. I think this one is best:

Electrical Audio is a two-studio complex owned by Steve Albini and located in Chicago, Illinois.

because a lot of us raised by militant grammarians will stumble over the lack of comma after Illinois if the phrases are switched, even though the lack-of-comma way is stylistically best.

I use a hell of a lot of commas, myself, but I'm in recovery.

EA Homepage " Welcome"

tmidgett wrote:However, this sentence is a little better:

Steve's ownership is a unique feature of Electrical Audio.

He owns one studio only, whereas there are many studios located in Chicago, Illinois.

I would stress his ownership slightly by placing its mention first.

Mr. T is right. This sentence makes the most sense to me.
Marsupialized wrote:I want a piano made out of jello.
It's the only way I'll be able to achieve the sound I hear in my head.