Dumb Shellac Question

scelops wrote:I saw 'em play it new years day 98 at 10 am. I believe it was the first song. It was long... i remember people cheering when that bass fill came in.

-wilson

To the best of my recollection, they also played it the night before. It was the last song of that evening's set, so if you were at both the New Year's Eve and Day shows, you were fortunate enough to hear it twice in a row.

Dumb Shellac Question

Bob has done the thing where he plays the riff by himself for a long time... he's done that a few times. I like it because when he finally plays the little eighth-note run after the drums come in people go nuts like he just popped out a pair of tits or something.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electrical dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.

Dumb Shellac Question

The first time that I saw Shellac they played this. Terraform had not come out, it was my 20th birthday, I still thought Camden was thrilling, and I interviewed the band beforehand. I mumbled a lot during the interview, which is apparent from the tape I had of it, and the band were exceptionally pleasant, polite and accommodating. I think that I only heard them say maybe three rude words, and one of them was when I walked to the little dressing room and heard Steve say "...must have worn his dick down to a stump!" I suspect I gave the impression of being 16 and slightly dim. I had never interviewed anyone before and haven't since; and I was ridiculously happy afterwards.

They played "Didn't We Deserve..." as their last song, and at the time I thought that it was a mellow teasing of an audience that seemed a bit drunk-stupid ("Hey Steve! Fuck my mum!" etc etc). I liked it, though. I like it even more now.
Gib Opi kein Opium, denn Opium bringt Opi um!

Dumb Shellac Question

They opened with this song at the Saturday morning show of the Hideout residency this past December. Walking in there that morning, amidst falling snow, people all bundled up, and free doughnuts, it felt like some kind of great early morning Christmas party. And then they opened with "Didn't We Deserve A Look At You . . .", which Sowley, San Paolo and myself all agreed is THE winter jam. Perfect - couldn't ask for a more badass December morn.
Mike McGovern