Last Question(s) for Steve

iembalm wrote:often it's the most convenient, obvious method to get right under the skin of the person who pissed you off, and has nothing to do with any "truth" about your feelings toward a group of people.

It also works in a reverse sort of way. For instance, I once called some drunk Appalachian dude on Wilson Av. who was being an asshole a "nigger" because I suspected it would drive him nuts. I was right.

If she really wanted to piss off those Mexicans, she should have called them Puerto Ricans.
Rick Reuben wrote:Edit those words out or I'm contacting a moderator.

It was Goldmember -
There's only two things I hate. Intolerance of other people's races and cultures and the Dutch.

On topic - Is 'racist' even the correct word? If you did hate Mexicans are you a racist? Mexico is a country but I am unsure as to whether or not it is actually considered a race. Wouldn't that be 'Hispanic' or something? I genuinely don't understand how it works. Maybe someone can explain it to me.
run joe run wrote:Kerble your enthusiasm.

tommydski wrote:It was Goldmember -
There's only two things I hate. Intolerance of other people's races and cultures and the Dutch.

On topic - Is 'racist' even the correct word? If you did hate Mexicans are you a racist? Mexico is a country but I am unsure as to whether or not it is actually considered a race. Wouldn't that be 'Hispanic' or something? I genuinely don't understand how it works. Maybe someone can explain it to me.

Well, it's not exactly like saying "...fucking Irish painters" if they were Irish. Not here anyways. Mexican and Hispanic\Latino are often used interchangeably. Correct or incorrect, you could be from Brazil and be called a Mexican. I don't know what M 2.0's angle was.

I spend a lot of time abroad and people often call me 'English' in the course of regular conversation. I always just accepted it because I am blatantly English. I didn't know they were being racist towards me.

I'm sort of mad about missing out on all the racial victimisation I am surely entitled to.
run joe run wrote:Kerble your enthusiasm.

I don't think there's any real angle to that post.
The pieces of shit in question were or looked mexican so it was "mexican pieces of shit". If it were all white dudes with a fat ass it would have been "fat fuck pieces of shit" or whatever. There's no real meaning to a quick situation-based comment like that.
Peter

Mandroid 2.0 wrote:I think the window was open before when I grumbled something about, "....Mexican pieces of shit." I don't care if the bastard 3 feet away from my attempting-to-sleep body heard me.

I have to say I too am offended by that. the Mexicans are a noble people who bring a lot of dignity to their work.

I'm just kidding, of course. I meant that statement to be taken with the utmost degree of sarcasm.

Maligning a person's ethnicity or nationality in anger is never appropriate or necessary, no matter who the person is or what they've done. Saying something like that only displays a great deal of ignorance and/or emotional immaturity on your part.

That said, I also think the "ass-in-the-sling" remark was also very juvenile and is not an appropriate way to respond to a verbal insult.

Just my two cents. You can stick 'em up your ass for all I care.
Last edited by Colonel Panic_Archive on Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

tommydski wrote:I spend a lot of time abroad and people often call me 'English' in the course of regular conversation. I always just accepted it because I am blatantly English. I didn't know they were being racist towards me.

I'm sort of mad about missing out on all the racial victimisation I am surely entitled to.

Shut up you English fuck.

Also, would go see a band called "English Fuck".