Micro-reviews of gear you just bought.

Raa wrote:I swapped out the "Duncan Designed" pickups in my Squier Vintage Modified Precision Bass for the Fender Original Precision Bass pickup. The Duncan one was kind of, um... punchy. The Fender one has much better dynamic range and sound variation through the tone control. They were a really tight fit but otherwise it was a simple swap.Oh cool, I was thinking of getting this exact pickup for my squier p bass special. Every other P pickup on musicians friend seems hyped in some unpleasant way (the promise of "modern" tone... ugh). I just started playing bass in a band and the stock pickup in this thing isn't the worst, but I think it's definitely of lesser quality than what they're putting in the vintage modified basses these days. It just sounds kind of flat with dull low end. Did you replace the capacitor? I see that being recommended in reviews.

Zoom MS-70CDRHoly shit, you were cheap, and you've replaced $500+ worth of pedals. I can see myself wasting lots of time with you, even though your stock presets are THE STUFF. Focusrite Scarlett 6i6I was really hesitant to stray from the Apogee Duet, but it just wasn't cutting it. I got you for significantly less and figured if things didn't work out I'd sell ya in a heartbeat. But I love you. More ins, more outs, love the mixer interface. And you sound fantastic for what I'm doing (synth, direct bass, etc). I will hook up some mics this weekend and see if your pres are really all that. So far you have been a hell of a buy. Wish you were a bit smaller, though. Yamaha TG-33 Tone Generator You need to be louder. And I need to find the time and patience to program you to my liking. I see you giving the stinkeye to the Zoom, but frankly it's a lot more fun. High likelihood of you being sold within a month or so. I'm afraid I don't have the time or effort to give you what you need. ----I really enjoy talking to gear.
**Do we need the other Chemical Bros. records??

Casio SK-5Totally dig it so far. The fact that it has 4 sample save slots and the memory doesn't erase as soon as you power off are great improvements over the SK-1. The reverse effect is also a bonus. So it has better sampling features but there are ways the SK-1 is superior. The latter is only lacking in effects the reverse feature. Unfortunately the SK-5 loses the vibrato and portamento features, which I do miss. Likewise it has fewer envelope shapes, but more or less retains the best ones. The built in sounds, with the exception of the vibraphone and chorus are either the same, as the SK-1, silly, or lesser iterations. The SK-1 also has plenty of great sounds in its built in synth mode. If you want a pure sampling tool, the the SK-5 is more usable. Otherwise I prefer the SK-1

AT4033 - It is so nice to have you, a microphone that isn't a SM-57. You record multiple things very well and I look forward in using you for years to come.Rolls Mx51s (mini-mix 2) - Well aren't you the bee's knees? You do exactly what I wanted you to do, and you do it well. I wish you had a 1/4 input, but I might just have to find a version of your older brother (Mx51), which has two of them.Rolls MO2020 (testocillator) - You do what you're advertised to do. Even though you get a little squirrel-y in the top of your range and you aren't exactly balls-on accurate, it's good enough for me to work on my Alvin Lucier impression.

A vs B wrote:I also have both, and I think I'm going to make a little board with both of them on it(+my omnichord). I love that the SK-5 samples that don't erase, but I neeeeed my portamento.I've had all of these thoughts exactly.One other thing that is a total upgrade from the SK-1 is that the sound made when the sample is done recording is an innocuous little drum sound instead of that really pronounced beep/click. It really sucks to go into loop mode only to have that loud click. See the last minute or so of this recording I made for an example of how intrusive it is. http://snd.sc/18ZaOBS

Major wrote:Zoom MS-70CDRHoly shit, you were cheap, and you've replaced $500+ worth of pedals. I can see myself wasting lots of time with you, even though your stock presets are THE STUFF. Focusrite Scarlett 6i6I was really hesitant to stray from the Apogee Duet, but it just wasn't cutting it. I got you for significantly less and figured if things didn't work out I'd sell ya in a heartbeat. But I love you. More ins, more outs, love the mixer interface. And you sound fantastic for what I'm doing (synth, direct bass, etc). I will hook up some mics this weekend and see if your pres are really all that. So far you have been a hell of a buy. Wish you were a bit smaller, though. Yamaha TG-33 Tone Generator You need to be louder. And I need to find the time and patience to program you to my liking. I see you giving the stinkeye to the Zoom, but frankly it's a lot more fun. High likelihood of you being sold within a month or so. I'm afraid I don't have the time or effort to give you what you need. ----I really enjoy talking to gear.New ZOOM MS70 CDR owner here too, got it for the 29 verbs, don't know how it compares to eventide space but I,m more than happy with the reverbs. The particle reverb setting sounds great. Using it with modular synths mainly. Choruses sound nice on guitar.