Interesting Gear Developments Thread

phpBB [media]Electro-Harmonix just upped their game. Mellotron flutes?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZKVPzRyn50C9 Organ Machine. I find way more of these sounds to be usable. The B9 is sweet, but I am more excited to try this thing. the mellotron sounded awesome.I bet in another six months they'll combine the two and have a giant $600 Organ Factory pedal like the H.O.G.

J. Burns wrote:The GFS gold foils look interesting. I think they'd be worth a shot just to try since a set will be somewhere in the $60-90 range. Most of their humbucker pickups (The Classic IIs are actually great) are blah, but the Mean 90s, Surf 90's, Lipsticks and Tele pickups are all on-point.From a post on the OffsetGuitars forum -Yeah. Honestly, I was shocked that they even got remotely in the territory. I was really expecting a strat pickup with rubber magnets under the housing, and I'm pleasantly surprised that it's got a similar construction to the vintage goldfoils. For $35, these a great value. As I'm getting them dialed in, I'm liking them even more--especially with a little OD/Distortion. It's not only exceeded my expectation, but anything I had even hoped for.I've used a number of GFS pickups with somewhat mixed results (nothing was abysmal, but nothing completely blew me away), but these are easily the most impressive. The goldfoils aren't for everyone, but if you're trying to get that old school tone, good luck finding something better without shelling out serious cash. Even with boutique pickups, I'm not sure I'd be much happier than I am with these.They've released some bunk in the past, but I'll give GFS credit on this one, they seemingly got it right on this variant.

This looks interesting a 3D printer mixed with 3D circuit creation. I think this could make a awesome stomp box some day. The idea being that the housing and circuit don't have to be separate things housing going around the board. That the whole circuit and housing can be 3D and built at the same time.http://gizmodo.com/this-9k-machine-coul ... 1677580682phpBB [media]

bishopdante wrote: japmn wrote:Man, maybe it is just me, but I think all these multi-octive harmony generators sound terribly gross. Super artificial in that Whammy Pedal sort of way. I hated that pedal when it can out and still don't understand it.Nearly every pitch shifter is fundamentally flawed in that it granularises the audio.Yea as BDante says the point of these harmonizers is that they change the harmonic structures of the notes artificially and it gives a different kind of altered sound from the instrument that is not true to the actual tone. I like the "modern" and machine/granular tone so I am OK with it and not looking for something that approximates the actual tone of the guitar. The oddish I find cool and if you enhance or distort them down chain pretty useful in getting a unique and modern guitar sound. I usually buy oldish harmonizers because they work in a faulty way. In the same way you might use subtle ring modulation or FM to make something seem newish and wrong. I think of it a lot like a kind of distortion which sounds clean like a chorus. Like were you might drop a Pearl thriller pedal where you can push a lot of even or odd eq order harmonics as you can in some computer eqs. (something similar is a cocked wha) These enhance those overtones but due to the limited computational power of most harmonizers your overtones are off or wrong though the fundamental might be closer. If you are working on the overtones on the instrument it makes the harmonizer do repeatable tonal color tricks in the overtones. The only other thing I can add on the 12 string front is that Cristina played one in the Honeymoon killers. She mostly played the lower EADG strings and I think they were tuned to 5ths and run through fuzz which was a pretty cool big sound, which still had some of the minimalism of surf as you could play one or two strings.BDante thanks for the info on the 3D printer which I found interesting.On the new gear front NAMM is on and Source audio has some nice new stuff if you like expression midi.Control 4 pedals with expression at one plus midi.http://www.sourceaudio.net/blog/post/so ... controllerTurn your old stomps on and off with midi with a midi loop.http://www.sourceaudio.net/blog/post/so ... p-switcher

numberthirty wrote:Looks like it may be time to start a coin jug -phpBB [media]I wonder what happens if you are downtuned/playing a baritone/playing a six string bass.Man, maybe it is just me, but I think all these multi-octive harmony generators sound terribly gross. Super artificial in that Whammy Pedal sort of way. I hated that pedal when it can out and still don't understand it. The Organ pedals are kinda cool for maybe a song. I just don't think they sound good but on a good day just good enoughI'd rather put whatever this pedal costs into buying a 12 string guitar. I've seen 12 string Ibanez Art-Whatevers go for under $550 on Ebay. It's a solid, and real 12 string electric. Just my opinion. I remember when those roland guitar Synth Midi things came out and thinking the same thing. Just garbage.