Underrated Guitarists....

that damned fly wrote:
snivlem wrote:
that damned fly wrote:jimi hendrix.

Underrated?? You're joking right?

does it matter?

maybe in one way he is. i'm not going to say so, but someone might come along and say jimi hendrix was under rated as a such and such player.

yes, i was joking.

If anyone is known as a being a great guitar player it's Jimi Hendrix. Whether you agree or not, the whole point of this underrated post is to point out somebody who's overlooked as a great guitar player. Hendrix definately doesn't apply. But if it was a joke then my question has been answered.

Vudi (Mark Pankler) and Mark Eitzel of American Music Club
Keith Moliné (Pere Ubu)
Chuck Prophet (Green On Red)
Brian Tatler (Diamond Head)
also:
Joachim Breuer (Janitor Joe)
Tom Capone (Quicksand)
and
Eddie Janney (The Faith, Rites of Spring, One Last Wish, Happy Go Licky)
I prefer his playing to that of Michael Hampton (Embrace); the two played guitar in The Faith and in One Last Wish Janney played bass while Hampton and Picciotto played guitar.

I agree that the following guitarists - who have been mentioned earlier in this thread - are underrated:

Tom Lyle (Government Issue)
Geordie Walker (Killing Joke)

I heard some of Aerosmith's Greatest Hits in a shop recently, as a captive consumer, and I thought the solo in ""Janie's Got a Gun" was good. Then "Livin' on the Edge" came on and I thought that the astringently golden guitar work was the only thing making it listenable. I feared that an overwrought, blank-eyed monstrosity like "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" might be next so I decided to get the fuck out of the shop but it was Friday lunchtime and the consumer itch was strong so I went downstairs instead to the HMV basement where I always drop a few farts (I blame the sudden change in altitude) and was assailed by anonymous dance crap as I looked at all the videogames.

Shiva Addanki of Kaleidoscope, JJ Doll, and the now-defunct bands Deformity and IVY. Really fucking great and exciting to hear, all while playing in some damn good punk bands. The noisier bits remind me of Brett Bradford and Frank Price, while the newer stuff with Kaleidoscope pushes it even further out there with lots of Chrome vibes.