Musician: Ty Segall Crap/Not Crap?

Apparently I saw him a few years back. No recollection of the show at all as a matter of disinterest.Recently saw him again. Was unable to discern what was going on. Seemed like wank.My girl likes him alot. Asked some folks who should know and they said he is 'cool' or something like that. Buxf from the Dicks was quoted as saying in re this last show that he is great and not a bullshit, pedal-slave guitarist. Something like that.I'm outside looking in on this one.

The live album sounds brilliant and is a good selection of many of his heaviest songs. I keep forgetting it exists, though. His forthcoming album is a collection of rather self-indulgent diversions that does not hold my interest apart from a couple songs. He has officially reached Bob-Pollardian levels of œholy shit someone get this guy an editor . A very nice person and generally highly competent songwriter, of course.Edited to add: the live album was recorded on R2R in a truck outside the venue.

sulfur)addict wrote:I'm leaning Not Crap but I'm suspicious, broken toilets and all.Personally, I think the Freedom's Goblin album sold him to me, as what I'd heard up until that point was good, but not all that different from other artists in that genre. For instance, Thee Oh Sees kinda have a thing that they repeat with pretty much every album they do. It seems like with TS, he tries to keep expanding what his thing is. Freedom's Goblin was a really nice blend of styles, and I see him as more of a quality songwriter based on that. BobSimms wrote:His forthcoming album is a collection of rather self-indulgent diversions that does not hold my interest apart from a couple songs. He has officially reached Bob-Pollardian levels of œholy shit someone get this guy an editor . I'm curious to hear it, but I also wonder if he could slow it down a bit. Sometimes it's good to let the songs percolate and not do a dump
Tiny Monk site and blog

First heard him at Melted, which was so retro to me that I didn't think to dive in. I had Tame Impala and Shannon and the Clams and Black Lips already, I didn't need another one. His ubiquity now is baffling until I remember that he - like Thee Oh Sees - is a touring machine. Must be a fun live show.New housemate loves him, he's trying to convince me to love him too. Played some Ultimate Weapon album today. It was a clever Blue Cheer thing, I really liked one song and I understood why someone would make/like that album - finding stuff that's as wild as Blue Cheer and early Sabbath while still being song-oriented takes some serious 70's digging.But then I tried to corral him into going with us to ZZ Top and Cheap Trick, only to get rebuffed. Not his bag apparently. This, oddly, has me reconsidering Ty Segall and his Whole Fucking Thing.I'm leaning Not Crap but I'm suspicious, broken toilets and all.