Total votes: 2 (7%)
Cruller
Total votes: 4 (14%)
Bear Claw (No votes)
Other
Total votes: 6 (21%)
Total votes: 29

Re: Best Donut/Doughnut Type

Not that I’m voting for it, but what is the standard Dunkin Donut Krispy Kream style categorized? The list looks a little bit of a mix between dough styles (cruller, cake) and topping/filling styles (glaze custard).

Like I thougjt an old fashioned is just a cake donut without glaze.

first2letters wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:42 pm
kokorodoko wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:30 am Don't know if they are represented here, the ones I like look like this
Came here to drool over exactly this one. Soft, airy, sugar-dusted (preferred over cinnamon), even better if it's still warm. The best variation of this form I've ever eaten was a Malasada from Leonard's Bakery in Honolulu. Life-changing donut.
The New England variant is made with apple cider and coated with cinnamon sugar and very explicitly called “apple cider donuts”. I bought a 6 pack of them at the farm stand yesterday and housed two before I even got out of the parking lot. Bonus points when dunked in a cup of mulled hot cider.
he/him/his

www.bostontypewriterorchestra.com

My less-than-sophisticated opinions on the subject:

1. Fucking boring off-the-shelf Strawberry Frosted from Dunkin' Donuts is my favorite

2. Then fucking boring glazed Krispy Kreme is next

3. Honorable mention goes to beignets, which are awesome, but not donuts
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

biscuitdough wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:29 am The bear claw and fritter are no more donuts than danishes are.
Valid point/stance. I threw them in there because they are pretty standard and occasionally show up as part of the assorted dozen.
zorg wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:40 pm Not that I’m voting for it, but what is the standard Dunkin Donut Krispy Kream style categorized? The list looks a little bit of a mix between dough styles (cruller, cake) and topping/filling styles (glaze custard).

Like I thougjt an old fashioned is just a cake donut without glaze.
Krispy Kreme is just a glazed variant.

Old fashioneds are the smushed cake ones with or without frosting. Sometimes they are covered in sugar dust or sugar/cinnamon. A plain one tastes a little different (less dry) than a plain cake donut.
self: https://tommiles.bandcamp.com/
old: https://shiiin.bandcamp.com/

Are there many non-mega-franchise places to get donuts where people live?
The most ubiquitous fastfood franchise in Canada is Tim Horton's, which has nearly obliterated other donut options. There are expensive gourmet places now but there's nothing in-between Timmies and a $10 maple-bacon-bagel-donut or whatever.

Are fritters underrated? I think they might be.

Andrew wrote: Are there many non-mega-franchise places to get donuts where people live?
About one out of maybe every ten suburban Chicagoland cities has one, and I can remember more that have closed down than are still open. There's obviously more in the big city. Practically every single one of them has at least one Dunkin', though.
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

jfv wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:12 pm
Andrew wrote: Are there many non-mega-franchise places to get donuts where people live?
About one out of maybe every ten suburban Chicagoland cities has one, and I can remember more that have closed down than are still open. There's obviously more in the big city. Practically every single one of them has at least one Dunkin', though.
That sounds accurate…though the city seem to have more gourmet donuts than ye olde donut shoppes. Detroit also has Tim Hortons.

jfv wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:12 pm
Come to Texas. There’s a dumpy little donut and kolache shop for every 2000 people. Great places for watery coffee and early morning redneckery.