Re: Finding a job sucks thread

Workday* applications are the fucking worst, for all those reasons you listed plus they're buggy as fuck. I've got the format memorized (including the city and zip code fields that always error out even if they're properly autofilled :evil: ) but still.. if it's a job I'm on the fence about sometimes I won't even bother.

*I've also used Workday software within a company and yeah, it blows too.
Music

cakes wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:35 pm The suckiest part of job applications:

- Step 1 - Submit your LinkedIn profile, which has all your experience also found on your resume
- Step 2 - Upload your resume, which is already on your LinkedIn profile
- Step 3 - Fill out your past experience, one painful input at a time, even though you submitted a pdf that was your resume and your resume is also found on your LinkedIn profile

Shit like this is just a giant fucking time suck, and it happens to come from all levels of companies, not just the low-barrel ones. I can't tell if it's supposed to be a painful gauntlet so you can be laughed at for jumping through each hoop like a prancing pony, or if there's just total ignorance on the other side. It just feels very defeating to have to bow down to such stupid requirements.
I don't know if you've applied for any state or county government type jobs, but where I live the application web pages are really oddly designed and hard to decipher. I can't decide whether it's just too hard to get them updated, or whether they're trying to simulate actually working in government as part of the application process.
Formerly LouisSandwich and LotharSandwich, but I can never recover passwords somehow.

LuciousSandwich wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:30 pm I don't know if you've applied for any state or county government type jobs, but where I live the application web pages are really oddly designed and hard to decipher. I can't decide whether it's just too hard to get them updated, or whether they're trying to simulate actually working in government as part of the application process.
I'm currently working on my USAjobs.gov profile, and that last point is a little bit true. I have a bit of insight into the process due to my partner's work, and when the application asks for something you need to do it exactly how they state it. It will automatically be rejected otherwise.

Gov't IT work is weird from what I've seen, but it's stable and predictable which aren't such bad qualities right now.
Music

cakes wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:35 pm The suckiest part of job applications:

- Step 1 - Submit your LinkedIn profile, which has all your experience also found on your resume
- Step 2 - Upload your resume, which is already on your LinkedIn profile
- Step 3 - Fill out your past experience, one painful input at a time, even though you submitted a pdf that was your resume and your resume is also found on your LinkedIn profile

Shit like this is just a giant fucking time suck, and it happens to come from all levels of companies, not just the low-barrel ones. I can't tell if it's supposed to be a painful gauntlet so you can be laughed at for jumping through each hoop like a prancing pony, or if there's just total ignorance on the other side. It just feels very defeating to have to bow down to such stupid requirements.
And then, the personality tests. It's fucking depressing. All to have some AI program "read" your shit and decide to pass you on to an actual human. I think things will get worse before they get better, if they get better.
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale

I've spent the last two weeks preparing and getting my ass up to speed on so much shit regarding my area of technology. I've even forgotten to sign my tax documents, and my accountant is hounding me.

Anyway, I had two incredible interviews this week. I feel strongly that at least one of them will lead to a job. The one I really want is a total pivot for me, in regards to the software engineering role, but I laid it on thick how much I wanted it to the hiring manager and VP. The technical interview for the latter role was today. I was freaking out about not feel prepared for a live coding exercise, that I was having dreams about it all last night--when I eventually fell asleep--I was so nervous. I did spend some time doing some system design exercises, which really paid off because that's pretty much the only technical thing we did. It was for something that's not entirely in my wheelhouse, but I still fucking nailed it.

I will say, I really appreciated the fact that the interview started with a conversation, then lead into the technical portion. The leads on the other end were very thoughtful and friendly, it killed my anxiety. I wish more people who interview would do this. The one I bombed was just, "Hello, now code" the guy barely said his name. Not that it was rude, he was just all business and it really tripped me up.

It's such a humbling process to find a job, my soul is mostly crushed at this point, so these little wins have been revitalizing me. Can't say I'll 100% get any offers, but I'll take any win I can get!

I hope the rest of you still looking have some little wins to share yourselves. We could all use some uplifting stories.

cakes wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:21 pm It's such a humbling process to find a job, my soul is mostly crushed at this point, so these little wins have been revitalizing me. Can't say I'll 100% get any offers, but I'll take any win I can get!

I hope the rest of you still looking have some little wins to share yourselves. We could all use some uplifting stories.
Unfortunately more of the same for me this last week or two: interviewing against 6 other candidates for roles I would have had unsolicited recruitment DMs for 3 years ago. I even spent a couple hours doing a project that kind of reeked of "doing free work for them"* but beggars can't really be choosers right now. At least it was sort of fun..

I basically need to abandon what I was doing and move onto something else (both the roles and the sectors). What used to work clearly doesn't anymore (I figured that out a while ago, but still get sucked back in sometimes).

*anything beyond initial 15-45 minute interviews should really be paid. It would force the other side to make fuckin' decisions too: there's zero reason to put 4-5 people thru multiple rounds of interviews and assessments. It's a waste of their time too.
Music