win the trial and lose the election
Total votes: 2 (6%)
win both
Total votes: 5 (16%)
lose both
Total votes: 21 (68%)
Total votes: 31

Re: president: trump

There won't be a silver lining to another Trump presidency.

It will be all kinds of not fun and not good.

There will still be reasons to get up in the morning, but checking in with the daily news won't be one of them.

Some might argue that it might end up being good for the economy, since national morale will be lower and a lot of people will be more likely to indulge in "retail therapy." But that won't last, and tangible losses elsewhere will be more severely felt and have further repercussions.

As we inch closer to Election Day, it feels weirder and weirder to me that this is even on the table, but I've already voted and I guess now it's time to unplug a little and see how it all shakes out. If the country, as a whole, is unwise enough to go down this road again, then it shouldn't be surprised if things don't go well.
ZzzZzzZzzz . . .

New Novel.

DaveA wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 4:57 pm As we inch closer to Election Day, it feels weirder and weirder to me that this is even on the table, but I've already voted and I guess now it's time to unplug a little and see how it all shakes out. If the country, as a whole, is unwise enough to go down this road again, then it shouldn't be surprised if things don't go well.
Or, you know, get off your arse and get other people voting. Fucks sake.
at war with bellends

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 6:43 pm
DaveA wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 4:57 pm As we inch closer to Election Day, it feels weirder and weirder to me that this is even on the table, but I've already voted and I guess now it's time to unplug a little and see how it all shakes out. If the country, as a whole, is unwise enough to go down this road again, then it shouldn't be surprised if things don't go well.
Or, you know, get off your arse and get other people voting. Fucks sake.
Have to admit that I've never bought into the indie-punk ethos of guilt-tripping others into activism, civic outreach, bearing the weight of this or that cause, voting for this or that candidate, and so on. If others care to take all of this on, that's fine, but it's too much monkey business, not my bag, and not even necessarily that effective.

In my experience, people don't like it much when I tell them what to do, even if I assume a diplomatic demeanor. The average person is deathly tired of all the pleading, and wants it to go away. I have disabused myself of the delusion of having to save the world and do other grown folks' thinking and acting for them. Dafuq. The preceding post was just some musings. Take 'er easy, or don't.
ZzzZzzZzzz . . .

New Novel.

DaveA wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 8:32 pm Have to admit that I've never bought into the indie-punk ethos of guilt-tripping others into activism, civic outreach, bearing the weight of this or that cause, voting for this or that candidate, and so on. If others care to take all of this on, that's fine, but it's too much monkey business, not my bag, and not even necessarily that effective.
Poor lamb.

We'll get the result we collectively deserve, so let's hope you're a minority.
at war with bellends

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 1:31 amPoor lamb.

We'll get the result we collectively deserve, so let's hope you're a minority.
Bark up somebody else's tree with your bullshit, bub.

I have voted. Have made sure my family has too. All of us voted for Harris, in a state that's likely to go to Trump anyway. It is not my civic duty to hold someone else's hand here and make sure they do what I've done, however meager someone would care to paint it (I'm not looking for a pat on the back; will concede that voting is a minimal form of political participation as Howard Zinn said). As I've pointed out, if someone else wants to get more involved and politically activated, that's fine. But I won't be guilt-tripped. Amid a major election, if each person were to take responsibility for themself after the writing's been on the wall for so long, then "getting off my arse and making sure others vote" (whatever exactly that entails--phonebanking? going door to door? pestering people outside a grocery store?) would hardly be necessary.

At 45, I don't have a savior complex. There were just two hurricanes here within a fortnight, and the surrounding areas are still in a disarray. I have limited time and resources and my own issues with maintaining viable mental health. The workload I've taken on the past year would be enough to smash some people's lives to bits and I've managed to navigate all of it with some aplomb despite the stress and general cramped atmosphere. Like hell is it my job to think that all of this -- *points to general election circus fueled by a record amounts of spending* -- is falling on my shoulders, hanging in the balance of whether I "get involved." If you want to hector someone on this message board, try going after those who are sitting the whole thing out, or, I dunno, some Russian burner accounts, or libertarian types or something. Sheesh. I'm chuckling into my morning coffee here.
ZzzZzzZzzz . . .

New Novel.