Miscellaneous Chicago news

greg wrote:PEPPER! wrote:traffic will super suck when they fix the bridge and I'm not looking forward to taking my kid to Lane every morning next year, but spend a minute under that thing and tell me they don't need to do it. try not to get hit by falling concrete.Western viaduct over Belmont?They aren't fixing it, they are tearing it down.I wish they were fixing it.I always thought C-E-W would be a good candidate for the under/around scheme I've seen in other areas.Keep the Belmont-Clybourn sections pretty much as is and run Western under the middle rather than over. I'm sure utility issues could nix such a plan, but I know they once considered such a fix for Damen-Elston-Fullerton.The overlapping street profiles, which essentially make D-E-D an 8way, seemingly scuttled that move. Really gonna cut into the tire and hub cap trade in the area I'm guessing!

Don't know what days but Friday shouldn't be affected unless don't go back until late. For the weekend it won't affect your trip there as the outbound Kennedy is affected before North Avenue, so the same route should be fine. In fact since only one lane can get through just before you the outbound traffic may be better. Though I'm sure there's a flaw in my logic there. The way back, I'd say Irving Park all the way down through Norridge and the like. Right on Milwaukee when you get to six corners. Stop at Rolling Stone Records & Beyond the Limit when you get to Harlem, assuming they are still there.

Kerble away, but went through 10 pages of Chicago thread title searches and didn't see anything. Lots of threads for specific things in Chicago or one event but nothing to randomly discuss happenings. So I figured a new thread was in order instead of starting yet another Chicago specific thread that more than half the board doesn't care about. This link was the impetus and didn't know a proper thread for it, they are demolishing the Western/Belmont bridge and making it a standard intersection. http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20140610 ... shed-2015#

Marsupialized wrote:That is lame, they should just repair it, it does wonders for traffic flow, especially with Marianos there now. I can't even imagine how bad that'll fuck traffic up when they start. More construction shit:http://www.myfoxchicago.com/story/25734309/carmageddon-on-kennedy-expressway-to-begin-soonTrying to figure out how to get to work and shit I need to do after work this weekendYeah, that is going to be a clusterfuck of epic proportions. I come in from the burbs every weekend, fortunately it doesn't start until Friday night. May have to take Milwaukee or some crazy shit all the way home.

PEPPER! wrote:traffic will super suck when they fix the bridge and I'm not looking forward to taking my kid to Lane every morning next year, but spend a minute under that thing and tell me they don't need to do it. try not to get hit by falling concrete.Western viaduct over Belmont?They aren't fixing it, they are tearing it down.I wish they were fixing it.
Greg Norman FG

numberthirty wrote:greg wrote:PEPPER! wrote:traffic will super suck when they fix the bridge and I'm not looking forward to taking my kid to Lane every morning next year, but spend a minute under that thing and tell me they don't need to do it. try not to get hit by falling concrete.Western viaduct over Belmont?They aren't fixing it, they are tearing it down.I wish they were fixing it.Chris Hall mentioned this to me a while back. We were wondering out loud why a cash strapped city wouldn't just repair it.Once I thought about it, I don't know that that bridge would be able to structurally survive repairs/resurfacing.Here's a funny thing. When they first started talking about fixing that viaduct, I remember dummies in news articles talking about how bad the surface was on it, but the surface was/still is totally fine. However, the bridge over the river (immediately south, connected) was dangerously bad. I can only assume the interviewees didn't know what was being proposed and were referring to river bridge or conflating the two.
Greg Norman FG